Thursday, 3 December 2015

Adult Coloring Books

I have a confession to make: there have been times when I have looked at kid’s coloring books and thought, I would like to have that. Now, thanks to the adult coloring book craze, I have my very own coloring book, and I absolutely love it.

So, what’s so great about coloring, you might ask. For me, the first great thing about it is that it is NOT WORK! Between ministry, writing and publishing, and trying to keep my home looking vaguely as if it is inhabited by a human, it sometimes feels as if almost every minute of my day is taken up by things related to work. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything I do (except for the housework), but nonetheless it all carries the burden of “purpose.” Coloring, on the other hand, serves absolutely no purpose other than relaxation and enjoyment.

Coloring causes you to focus. We hear a great deal today about the importance of being “in the moment” – not fretting about what is past or anticipating what is to come, but really enjoying the “now.” Coloring produces that state very effectively. For the time given to it, the rest of the world fades away and all that exists is that beautiful, intricate design and the question of which colors should go where.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment